1272 facts for kids
|Centuries:||12th century – 13th century – 14th century|
|Decades:||1240s 1250s 1260s – 1270s – 1280s 1290s 1300s|
|Years:||1269 1270 1271 – 1272 – 1273 1274 1275|
- Mamluk sultan Baibars of Egypt invades the weakening kingdom of Makuria to the south.
- Charles I of Anjou, King of Naples, occupies Durres in Albania and establishes an Albanian kingdom.
- Count Floris V of Holland makes an unsuccessful attack on Frisia in an attempt to recover the body of his father, Count William II.
- King Edward I of England departs for England from the failed Ninth Crusade and becomes King when his father, King Henry III, dies.
- November 21 – Edward becomes King of England.
- King Alphonso III of Portugal eliminates the last Moorish community in Portugal at Faro.
- The city of Strasbourg becomes an Imperial Free City of the Holy Roman Empire.
- The Worshipful Company of Cordwainers receives the right to regulate the leather trade in London, England.
- In astronomy, the recording of the Alfonsine tables is completed.
- The first recorded reference of cricket dates back to 1272.
- Bernardo Tolomei (died 1348)
- King Frederick III of Sicily (died 1337)
- Otto I of Hesse (approximate date; died 1328)
- March 17 – Emperor Go-Saga of Japan (born 1220)
- March 18 – John FitzAlan, 7th Earl of Arundel (born 1246)
- April 2 – Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall, Holy Roman Emperor (born 1209)
- April 27 – Saint Zita
- August 6 – King Stephen V of Hungary
- November 16 – King Henry III of England (born 1207)
- December 13 – Bertold von Regensburg, German preacher
- William of Saint-Amour, French scholastic philosopher (born 1200)
1272 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.