Bourg-en-Bresse facts for kids
|Prefecture and commune|
Prefecture building of the Ain department
|Canton||Bourg-en-Bresse-1 and 2|
|Area1||23.86 km2 (9.21 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,717.0/km2 (4,446.9/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+01:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+02:00)|
|INSEE/Postal code||01053 /01000|
|Elevation||220–273 m (722–896 ft)
(avg. 240 m or 790 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The distances from Bourg-en-Bresse to other cities are:
- Paris, the national capital - 429 km (267 mi);
- Lyon, the regional capital - 81 km (50 mi);
- Reims - 445 km (277 mi);
- Bordeaux - 616 km (383 mi);
- Toulouse - 617 km (383 mi);
- Montpellier - 378 km (235 mi);
- Strasbourg - 417 km (259 mi);
- Nantes - 669 km (416 mi);
- Marseille - 393 km (244 mi).
The inhabitants of Bourg-en-Bresse are known, in French, as Burgiens (women: Burgiennes').
Bourg-en-Bresse has a population, in 2014, of 40,967 and its population density is of 1,717.0 inhabitants/km2.
Evolution of the population in Bourg-en-Bresse
Bourg-en-Bresse forms, with other 4 communes, the urban area of Bourg-en-Bresse with a population of 59,816 inhabitants (2014) and an area of 102.4 km2 (39.5 sq mi). This urban area is the centre of the metropolitan area of Bourg-en-Bresse, formed by 69 communes, with a population of 125,863 inhabitants (2014) and an area of 1,117.1 km2 (431.3 sq mi).
- Bourg-en-Bresse-1 formed by one commune and part of Bourg-en-Bresse, with 31,801 inhabitants (2014).
- Bourg-en-Bresse-2 formed by 3 communes and part of Bourg-en-Bresse, with 28,101 inhabitants (2014).
Twinned and partner towns
Bourg-en-Bresse is twinned with:
Additionally, it has established partnerships withː
- Parma, Italy, since 1990
- Namur, Belgium, since 1996
- Aylesbury, United Kingdom, since 2000
- El Kef, Tunisia, since 2000
- San Severo, Italy, since 2004
- Brzeg, Poland, since 2006
Images for kids
Bourg-en-Bresse Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.